Smart Loyalty New Zealand Limited (“Smart Loyalty”), and its affiliated Programmes and Initiatives, respects the privacy of any personal information collected and Smart Loyalty adheres to the guidelines as set out in this document. Included in this document is:
- the types of personal information collected through Smart Loyalty Programmes and affiliated initiatives and how the information is collected;
- how collected personal information is held;
- how and for what purposes personal information is used;
- who personal information is shared with and for what purposes; and
- the data collected from use of Smart Trade’s digital services, including all Smart Loyalty affiliated websites, social media channels and the SmartTrade mobile application.
This Privacy Statement may be updated from time to time.
Members accept the terms and conditions of Smart Loyalty Programmes, including this Privacy Statement, by continuing as a member of the Programme.
For more information about this Privacy Statement, please contact Smart Loyalty via the contact details at the end of this statement.
Types of personal information collected through Smart Loyalty programmes
The types of personal information collected:
- name, contact details such as address and telephone number, age and gender details. This information is collected through the application to join the Programme form or through forms you may submit in relation to any Smart Loyalty promotion;
- details of your transactions with partner businesses, such as the date you shopped, how much you spent and what you have bought. This information is supplied to Smart Loyalty by Partner Businesses.
- Rewards redemption details, such as the reward redeemed and the redemption date;
- Records of communications and interactions with Smart Loyalty and its affiliated Programmes and Initiatives, including interactions with the Customer Experience Ambassadors; and
- details of communication preferences, such as email subscription and preferred contact method.
This personal information enables Smart Loyalty to provide benefits and services, such as:
- allocate points earned to members;
- enable members to redeem points for rewards;
- keep programme membership details updated and secure;
- send relevant offers to members; and
- provide members with programme membership information.
When visiting any Smart Loyalty website or using the mobile application, Smart Loyalty may collect information using technology which is not apparent to the user (such as “cookies”). Please see the section below on data collected in relation to digital services for more information about use of this technology.
How and for what purposes personal information is used
Contact details, information about business spend with Partner Businesses and other types of information about members (as described above) will be used to promote products and services provided by Smart Loyalty and it’s affliliated programmes and initiatives, Smart Loyalty Partner Businesses and other businesses that are relevant to members.
Such information may be used to provide marketing communications and targeted advertising via email, social media, mail and/or telephone.
Members can opt out of receiving offers from Smart Loyalty at anytime by doing one of the following:
- click ‘unsubscribe’ on the email received;
- call 0800 99 SMART (Monday to Friday from 8.30am – 5pm).
Contact details, information about business spend with Partner Businesses and other types of member information (as described above) may be used to:
- facilitate delivery of rewards;
- verify member identity (e.g. when contacting a Customer Experience Ambassador);
- conduct product and market research for Smart Loyalty programmes and initiatives and Partner Businesses;
- carry out data analytics services to provide insights to Smart Loyalty Partner Businesses and other organisations;
- maintain and update Smart Loyalty Programme membership records; and
- deal with enquiries from members.
Who personal information is shared with and for what purpose
To operate Smart Loyalty programmes, personal information may be shared with trusted providers of Smart Loyalty related services, including the Smart Loyalty Customer Experience Team, mail-houses, an email deployment company, reward suppliers and providers of data analysis, data augmentation or data washing services in connection with Smart Loyalty marketing campaigns.
Personal information may be shared with Partner Businesses or a trusted related company or service provider that provides data storage and/or data processing services (for example, an email marketing platform service provider) and is located in a country other than New Zealand.
Any time personal information is shared, it is done so securely, while endeavouring to ensure all other parties agree to protect the privacy and security of any personal information and destroy that data when it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was supplied to them. The data is used only for the purposes for which it is disclosed.
Personal information may be shared with Partner Businesses if Smart Loyalty:
- considers that the member has consented to the disclosure;
- considers that the disclosure is necessary to enable the recording of point(s) in relation to a transaction with a Smart Loyalty Partner; or
- considers the member a prize winner in a competition or promotion run by or on behalf of that Partner and the information is disclosed for the sole purpose of enabling notification of the win and/or making arrangements for receipt of the prize.
Personal information may be shared in other circumstances where specifically permitted to do so under the Privacy Act 1993.
How personal information is held
Data security policies and practices are in place in order to mitigate the risks of unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or wrongful alteration of, personal information held by Smart Loyalty.
Smart Loyalty takes measures to destroy personal information that is no longer needed for any lawful purpose.
Smart Loyalty is dedicated to keeping personal information and membership details safe and secure. If a member is in doubt about the authenticity of any communications that are or seem to be from Smart Loyalty or its affiliated programmes and initiatives please immediately email email@example.com and include a copy of the email in question.
Data collected in relation to digital services
Information and services relating to Smart Loyalty and its affiliated programmes and initiatives is provided through a range of digital and online services, including websites, social media channels and Mobile Applications.
Information is collected via your use of Smart Loyalty websites, through cookies. Cookies on the websites collect information that is used to remember information entered. If cookies are disabled usability may be restricted on some webpages.
Smart Loyalty systems record a variety of information in relation to interactions with the Smart Loyalty’s websites and Mobile Applications. This can include information about software versions used, device types, device identifiers (like IP address), location data (where available and not disabled by the user), dates, times, file metadata, referring website, data entered, and user activity such as links clicked.
Data may be used to target members through social media channels. In this case, encrypted (hashed) email addresses are matched with encrypted Facebook data to identify a match in a secure environment. The hashed data is deleted as soon as the match is complete and never kept or used by Facebook or shared with any third party.
Some information collected in relation to Smart Loyalty’s digital services is not related to an individual. In many cases, the information relates only to a device or is of an aggregated or statistical nature, providing no way of knowing the identity of the user. In other cases, information about member’s use of our digital services over time may be associated with their personal information, for example, when on any occasion the member logs in or follows a link sent via email.
Smart Loyalty’s online services may contain links to other sites. Smart Loyalty is not responsible for the privacy practices or policies of those sites and recommends that users review privacy policies of such sites.
Procedures for access, correction, and feedback
If you wish to access or correct any information Smart Loyalty holds about you or if you have any feedback or concerns about privacy, please contact us as set out below.
Where you seek a response from us, we will let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a full response. In the case of access and correction requests, please provide as much detail as you can about the particular information you seek in order to help us retrieve it.
Where we decide not to make a requested correction and you disagree, you may ask us to make a note of your requested correction with the information.
Phone: 0800 99 SMART (0800 99 76278), Mon – Fri, 8.30am – 5pm (excluding public holidays)
Post: PO Box 370, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton